CDS medical criteria and CDS physical eligibility are two topics that need awareness among CDS aspirants. We all are busy with CDS written exam preparation and SSB interview preparation that we have forgotten that we also have to clear SSB medical test to be a part of armed forces. In this article, you will come to know what is medical fitness for CDS exam in very simplified language.
Fact: On average, 25-30 candidates out of 100 fail to clear SSB medical tests as they do not meet CDS medical requirement or CDS physical eligibility (temporary or permanent rejection).
General perception about CDS medical eligibility criteria is that any average aspirant can clear SSB medical tests easily, but when you will see the SSB medical test list, then you will understand the importance of medical tests in SSB.
“Medical Examination for a Officer candidate is basically done not just to detect any disease. We also aim to try and detect disabilities which are currently absent, but can be unmasked later due to stress and strain military services put on the individual”
–Lt Col Ranjith K Nair, (Nephrologist- RR Hospital)
Why should we do SSB Medical Tests before preparing for the CDS exam?
CDS exam complete procedure of selection takes around 1 year of time. And if you are medically or physically rejected by Medical board at the end of clearing SSB interview, it will waste 1 year of your preparation time.
CDS medical tests due to which many aspirants are rejected can be cured if you take action on time. So, its the right time to take these SSB medical tests seriously.
SSB Medical Tests after CDS clearing exam:
Candidates who want to be part of armed forces must be physically and mentally fit according to the prescribed CDS physical standards (given in this article)
The number of candidates are rejected at the end due to CDS physical requirement. So, to avoid disappointment at the end, check these tests seriously.
Also Check: CDS OTA preparation (Score 90+ Guaranteed !!)
6 commonly found defects at the time of SSB Medical Test
You need to rectify these commonly found defects at your end before SSB interview so that your process of medical examination at Medical Hospital will take less time.
- Wax (ears)
- Deviated Nasal Septum
- Hydrocele/Varicocele/Phimosis and
These are common defects or ailments of SSB medical tests that can be cured with proper medical treatment and exercises.
Are Permanent Tattoos on body permitted in Indian Armed Forces?
Permanent tattoos on the body are only permitted on inner face of forearm. If you have a permanent tattoo on any other body part, it’s not permitted and you will be barred from further selection.
(Tribes which include tattoo as a part of tradition will be treated on a case to case basis and its to the discretion of ‘Service Medical Officers’ of the board)
Also Check: CDS syllabus (Systematic breakdown for smart study)
What if we are Temporarily Declared Unfit by Sevice Medical Board?
A candidate who is recommended by SSB (Service Selection Board) will undergo a medical examination by the Service Medical board.
Women candidates are examined by board which contains a female gynaecologist doctor (Lady Medical Officer, member of the board)
Candidates who are declared unfit will be intimated by President of the Service Medical board.
Now the candidate has the option to apply for Appeal Medical Board to be completed within 42 days. Candidate gets 42 days to reappear for the SSB medical test to show that they are medically fit on the parameters they are declared unfit (For eg: Overweight/Underweight)
And if you are again declared unfit on CDS medical eligibility, it will be intimated by President of Appeal Medical Board. (There is also an option of Review medical board, but then chances of being fit are next to impossible)
CDS physical eligibility criteria (As per UPSC)
- The candidate must be in good physical and mental health and they must be free from any disease which is likely to interfere with the efficient performance of duties.
- There should be no evidence of weak constitution, bodily defects or underweight. The candidate should not be overweight or obese.
These are general Physical eligibility criteria for CDS exam.
CDS Exam Height Eligibility :
- Minimum acceptable height for Men (Army): 157.5 cm
- Minimum acceptable height for Men (Navy): 157 cm
- Minimum acceptable height for Men (Air Force): 162.5 cm
- Minimum acceptable height for Women: 152 cm
Relaxation of height in CDS exam:
- 5cm= For Gorkhas and individuals belonging to hills of North-Eastern region of India, Garhwali and Kumaon
- 2cm= Candidates belonging to Lakshadweep.
(Above concessions are applicable for Army and Navy only)
Also Check: CDS Cut Off (Last 6 attempts cutoff analysis)
CDS Height and Weight Chart for Men
Given below is the CDS height and weight chart for men. It is also height for CDS OTA (men). In front of height, you will get corresponding weight as per your exact age (height is measured without shoes).
(Below chart is for Army and Navy)
|Height in cm||18 Years||20 Years||22 Years||24 Years|
- 10 Percent variation in the above weight is permitted.
- If you have a broad built or heavy bones, this limit will be relaxed to some extent depending on your merit.
So, to be in merit, you need to follow the CDS exam GK paper strategy, CDS maths paper strategy, and CDS English paper strategy.
CDS Height and Weight Chart for Women
Women are eligible to join Indian Army via CDS exam. They need to join the Officer’s training academy. So, this is CDS height and weight chart for OTA (women).
CDS Height and weight standards (Female)
|Height in cm||20 Years||25 Years||30 Years|
CDS Height and Weight Chart for Men (Air Force)
Given below is the CDS height and weight chart for men in Air Force. In front of height, you will get corresponding weight as per your exact age (height is measured without shoes).
| Height |
|15-17 Years||18-22 years||23-27 years||28-32 years|
(Fat percentage must be less than 20 percentage)
CDS Physical Eligibility Criteria :
- Chest should be well developed. The minimum range of expansion of chest after full inhalation should be 5 cms.
- There should not be mal-development or impairment function of the bones / joints.
- The hearing of the candidate should be normal. A candidate should be able to hear a forced whisper with each ear at a distance of 610 cms in a quiet room. Moreover, present or past evidence of disease of the ear, nose and throat is not allowed.
- A candidate should have no past history of mental breakdown or past history of fits.
- There should be no signs of functional or organic disease of the heart and blood vessels
- Blood pressure od the candidate should be normal.
- There should be no enlargement of the liver or spleen. Any evidence of disease of internal organs of the abdomen will be a valid cause for rejection.
- There should be no hydrocele, varicocele or even piles.
- Un-operated hernias will make a candidate unfit. Hernia operated before 6 months of medical inspection is permitted.
- A urine examination will be done and any abnormality if detected will be a cause for rejection in SSB medical test.
- The candidates should have a sufficient number of natural and sound teeth. A minimum of 14 dental points will be acceptable. When 32 teeth are present, the total dental points are 22. A candidate should not be suffering from severe pyorrhoea.
- USG abdomen examination will be carried out during medical test and any congenital structural anomaly or disease of the abdominal organs will be a cause for rejection.
- Any disease of the skin which is likely to cause disability or disfigurement will also result in rejection.
- Candidate must be medically capable of undergoing training and y fit to adapt to the military environment.
- Candidate must be free of contagious diseases that might endanger the health of other cadets.
CDS physical eligibility for male and female are same on the above given parameters (Except height and weight chart)
Additional CDS physical eligibility for female are given below in this article.
(Also check: Sarkaari Service articles on SSB interview, CAPF, NDA and AFCAT exam)
Apart from the above tests, the medical officer may also ask for the following tests regarding CDS medical criteria :
- Complete Haemogram
- X-Ray chest PA view
- Urine RE/ME
- USG abdomen & pelvis
Major causes for rejection in SSB Medical Test : (Must know)
We need to be aware of CDS Medical eligibility and CDS medical criteria so that we can set our goals accordingly. I will give major causes of rejection in SSB medical tests so that you get an exact idea about what causes rejection in SSB medicals.
CDS medical tests conducted in SSB medicals are far different than what you have thought. So, read the article and check these medical conditions before the SSB interview.
- Rejections related to Chest: Musculoskeletal deformities viz pectus excavatum, pigeon chest, rickety rosary, pleural effusion, parenchymal lesions of lungs, active or residual lesions of tuberculosis.
- Rejections related to Skin: Vitiligo, scars, vascular malformations chronic skin diseases.
- Rejections related to Abdomen and reproductive system: Hernia, organomegaly, vascular deformities. Renal deformities, gall stones, renal tones, etc. Deformities of the reproductive system.
- Rejections related to Head and neck: Muscolo-skeletal deformities which can interfere in using safety gear, cervical rib.
- Rejections related to Upper limbs, lower limbs and spine: Hyper flexible or restricted movements of joints, Cubitus valgus, Cubitus varus, genu recurvatum, deformities of hands and feet, kyphosis, scoliosis, congenital deformities, like spina bifida etc.
- Sinus, fistulae and hernia, cyst, hyper/hypopigmented patches, swelling, naevus, vascular malformations scars located anywhere on the candidate’s body.
Also Check: CDS preparation with Pathfinder (Score 130+ marks)
Eye and Vision Standards for CDS exam:
Various terms like vision standards for Indian army, eyesight for CDS OTA and even eyesight for CDS female will be explained in detail.
CDS Candidate must have:
- Objective Convergence. It should be ≤ 10 cm
- Accommodation. It should be ≤ 12 cm
- Binocular Single Vision (BSV). It should be at least grade III
- Visual Fields should be complete.
|Visual Standards for SSB Medicals|
|Vision Criteria||Uncorrected VA 6/60 & 6/60 |
BCVA 6/6 & 6/6
Myopia ≤ -3.50 D Sph including
astigmatism, Hypermetropia ≤ +3.50 D Sph
| Colour |
|CP-III (Defective Safe)|
There are also various eye related diseases (ocular) which can be a major cause of rejection in SSB medicals (Many aspirants are not aware of it) Here is the list:
- Corneal Opacity.
- Lenticular opacity
- Night blindness (very Common)
- Retinal lesions
- Naso-Lacrimal occlusion
Is Laser Surgery Permitted to Improve Eye-sight?
Laser Surgery must not be done within the last 1 year period from the reporting date for medical examination and also not have been done earlier than 20 years of age on the date of operation.
Radial Keratotomy is not allowed.
Ears and Hearing standards for CDS exam :
Causes for rejection related to ears and hearing standards:
- Auricle and Mastoid Region: The pinna will be assessed for gross deformity which will hamper wearing of uniform/personal kit/protective equipment, or which adversely impacts military bearing.
- Tympanic Membrane: Perforations, scars, tympanosclerotic plaques or retraction of membrane. And immobile or partially mobile tympanic membrane.
- External Auditory Meatus: Presence of wax, foreign body, exostosis, growth, otomycosis or discharge.
CDS Physical Eligibility for Female : (also Medical criteria)
General methods and principles regarding CDS physical and medical eligibility are the same for male and female. Here are some unique CDS eligibility criteria for female aspirants.
A detailed physical and systemic examination will be carried out of the female candidate by a lady Medical Officer or a lady Gynaecologist or male medical officer in the presence of female attendant. Examination includes:
- External genitalia
- Hernial orifices and the perineum
- Any evidence of stress urinary incontinence or genital prolapse outside introitus
- Ultrasound scan of the lower abdomen and pelvis is mandatory in all-female candidates
- All married candidates will be subjected to speculum examination for any prolapsed or growth on cervix or vagina (Not in case of unmarried candidates)
- Pregnancy would be a cause of temporary rejection
Also Check : CDS OTA preparation (Best opportunity for Girls !!)
Major reasons for female candidate being declared unfit in CDS Medical test :
If you have any issue regarding CDS medical eligibility for female, do comment in the comment section below.
Special Physical Eligibility for Air Force candidates
|Minimum Height||162.5 cms|
|Leg Length||Min. 99 cms. & Max. 120 cms|
|Thigh Length||Max. 64 cms|
|Sitting Height||Min. 81.5 cms. & Max. 96 cms|
CDS Physical requirement (CDS Physical standard )
At present, there is no special CDS physical test. But UPSC CDS has specified an ideal routine and CDS physical requirement to keep yourself in good physical condition. So, you must be physically fit enough to follow the following fitness routine:
|Running||2 to 4 km in 15 minutes|
|Pushups & Sit-ups||Minimum 20 each|
|Rope Climbing||3 to 4 meters|
In the near future, when the De novo system of SSB will be started, these parameters can also be added as Physical test for CDS.
CDS physical test running has a high probability to be added in upcoming tests. So, be prepared for it.
We have covered A to Z medical tests in SSB, List of CDS Medical tests, CDS Physical and Medical tests in a very simplified manner. Now its your duty to check these parameters with the help of your family doctor.