Hello defence aspirants. We are back with a detailed article on “Different Ways to Join Indian Army as an Officer“. We will cover A to Z Entries (Direct Entry + Written Exam Entry) for Male as well as Female aspirants so that you are well aware of all the entries into Indian Amy which will give you Stars. I have seen many aspirants who couldn’t become Officers in Indian Army just because they were not aware about the entry. So, make sure that you read this detailed article till the end and do not miss any opportunity to be Officer in Indian Army.
Ways to Join Indian Army as an Officer
We will discuss 15+ Entries to Join Indian Army as an Officer. We will be discussing Direct Entry as well as Written Exam Entry. So, let us see some basics which will help us to understand each entry in a better way.
- Written Exam Entry: You might be aware of these entries in which your First Stage is Written Exam. You have to qualify the written exam to be eligible for Further Stages like SSB Interview and Medical Test (which needs dedicated preparation for the exam!)
- Direct Entry: In the case of Direct Entry, you directly qualify for SSB Interview (without written examination). Shortlisting is done based on your graduation marks, NCC C Certificate, or any other academic parameters based on the post and entry you have applied.
- SSB Interview: For Direct as well as Written exam Entry, you have to Face SSB Interview before the final Selection. In short, if you want to be Officer in Indian Armed forces, you have to clear SSB Interview (5 Days Interview) irrespective of your entry.
- Is SSB Interview of Direct Entry Difficult? Theoretically No. But practically yes. Because many aspirants are eligible for Direct Entry which increases competition for Direct Entries (Reporting of aspirants for SSB Interview for Direct Entries is much higher than those who have cleared written exam)
1. National Defence Academy, Pune
Let us begin with the Best Entry to Join Indian Armed Forces, that is, ‘National Defence Academy and Naval Academy Examination‘ which is held twice every year. Its best opportunity for defence aspirants as you start your career at the age of 18 years. NDA Exam is the first chance a boy gets in his life to achieve his dream of donning a uniform.
- Age Limit: 16 ½ to 19½ years as of the first day of the month in which course is due to commence.
- Educational Qualification: 10+2 passed for the army , 10+2 with science and maths for airforce and navy.
- Exam conducted: UPSC conducts the NDA & NA written exam twice a year. ( April & Nov) The written exam consists of Maths (10+2 level), General Studies, English.
- SSB Interview: Those who clear the written exam are called for the SSB interview.
- Course commencement: Jan & July.
For Army: 3 years at NDA + 1 year at IMA (Dehradun)
For Airforce:– 3 years at NDA + 1 year at AFA (Hyderabad)
- For Navy:-3 years at NDA + 1 year at INA (Ezhimala, KL)
Also Check: Complete NDA Preparation Articles with Study Plan!
Also Check: NDA Maths Preparation (Score 130+ Marks with this Strategy)
2. Technical Entry Scheme:- Direct SSB interview
Depending upon candidates 10+2 PCM percentage, he directly gets a call for SSB interview. ( No written exam for this entry)
- Notification is released twice a year ( Jan & July)
- Usual cutoff percentage: Between 75-85 % ( PCM)
- Age: 16 ½ to 19 ½ years
- Training: Total training will be of 5 years, Details as under:
- Basic Military Training: 1 year (Officer Training Academy Gaya).
- Technical Training:
Pre Commission Training: Duration 3 Years (CME Pune, MCTE Mhow and MCEME Secunderabad)
Post Commission Training: Duration 1 year at CME Pune, MCTE Mhow and MCEME Secunderabad.
- Award of Degree: The candidates will be awarded Engineering degree after successful completion of training.
3. University Entry Scheme : Direct SSB interview (Notification released once a year)
- Who all can apply: Unmarried Male students of the pre-final year of Engineering Degree Course ( 3rd year of degree) can apply for this entry, if he clears percentage cutoff set by Army up to 4th semester of engineering.
- Age: 19-25 years at the time of course commencing.
- Selection procedure: Group discussion + personal interview( PI may or may not be taken) by a panel of officers at respective college/university. Further selected candidates will get the opportunity to face the SSB interview.
- Aspirants who qualify at the SSB and are found medically fit by a Medical Board. Then Final Merit List is calculated.
- Short Service Commission will be allocated to successful candidates after training.
- Training will take place at Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehradun for a period of 12months.
4. Combined Defence Services Examination (CDSE ) : Written entry
CDS Exam is the Best Exam if you want to join the Indian Armed Forces after Graduation.
- Educational criteria: Any graduate from recognised university or equivalent for IMA and OTA
- B.Sc. with Physics & Mathematics or Bachelor of Engg for Naval Academy .
- B.Sc. with Physics and/or Mathematics or Bachelor of Engg for Air Force Academy.
- IMA: 19-24 Years
- NA: 19-22 Years
- AFA: 19-23 Years
- OTA: 19-25 Years ( Men + women),( English + GS only , No maths paper for OTA )
The written exam of CDS Exam consists of Mathematics + English ( up to 10th class), General studies
Also Check: CDS GK Preparation (Score 50+ Marks Guaranteed!)
5. Technical Graduate Course (TGC ) : Direct SSB interview
- For IMA Dehradun
- Eligibility: All MALE engineering students studying in final year or passed out, can apply for this entry if they fulfill the eligibility criteria. Depending on respective cutoffs of engineering streams up to 6th semester of engineering, notified by Army authority, one can attend the SSB interview if he clears the cutoff.
- Age: 20 and 27 years as of the first day of the month in which course is due to commence.
- Procedure: Apply for TGC online
- Army will declare the list of shortlisted candidates based on their degree percentage.
- Get the call letter for Direct SSB Interview, if shortlisted.
- Attended five days SSB Interview process.
- Attend medical examination, if you are recommended.
- Wait for the all India merit list of TGC.
Join Indian Military Academy, if Shortlisted and medically fit.
6. Short Service Commission Technical ( SSC Technical) : For both Men + Women Direct SSB interview
- For OTA Chennai.
- Age Criteria: 20 to 27 years of age.
For widows of Defence Personnel- SSCW (Non Tech) [Non UPSC] and SSCW(Tech)
- Educational Criteria: Engineering Graduates / Final year engineering students who will graduate before course commencement.
- Cutoff percentage up to the 6th semester of engineering is considered for shortlisting purpose
7. TGC Education : Direct SSB interview
- Age Criteria: 23 to 27 years at the time of commencement of course.
- Education Criteria: Only those candidates who have passed Post Graduate Degree MA/M.Sc in the following subjects /M.Com/MCA/MBA with 1st or 2nd Division.
- Important Note: Passed Post Graduate Degree MA/M.Sc in the following subjects /M.Com/MCA with 1st or 2nd Division are only eligible.
- Comission: Permanent Comission (PC)
- Training: Duration of training is one year
8. NCC Special Entry : Direct SSB interview ( Men + Women )
- Age criteria: 19 to 25 years of age
- Educational criteria:
Degree of a recognized University or equivalent with aggregate of 50% marks. Those studying in final year are also allowed to apply provided they have secured minimum 50% aggregate marks in the first two/three years (which depends on duration of degree).
Candidate should have served minimum three academic years in the senior Wing of NCC. and a minimum of ‘B’ Grade in ‘C’ Certificate Examination of NCC.
- Training: Duration of training is 49 weeks at OTA, Chennai
9. Judge Advocate General (JAG ) : Direct SSB interview ( Men + Women )
- Age criteria: 21 to 27 years of age.
- Educational criteria: Minimum 55% aggregate marks in LLB Degree (three years professional after graduation or five years after 10+2). The aspirants should be eligible for registration as an advocate with Bar Council of India/State (and from recognized college)
- Training: Duration of training is 49 weeks at OTA, Chennai
10. Remount Veterinary Corps entry (RVC) : Direct SSB interview
- Age criteria: 21-32 years
- Educational criteria: BVSc/BVSc & AH degree from any of the recognized Indian universities or its equivalent foreign degree
- Selection procedure: Shortlisting of applications followed by SSB Interview.
- Training: Post commission training will be done at RVC Centre & College, Meerut. The successful candidate will be commissioned in the rank of Captain.
11. Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC )
Both Male and Female candidates can apply for this entry. You get the opportunity to complete MBBS at AFMC and then may get a Permanent Commission or Short commission.
- Education criteria: NEET Exam qualified with a good score (check the cutoff marks for interview call at AFMC website)
- Procedure: Apply by following instructions given on AFMC website
- Interview: 50 marks + English, Logic, Reasoning (ELR) test
- Joining: AFMC Pune
12. Army Dental Corps
- Age criteria: Maximum age for SSC is 45 years.
- Educational criteria: BDS/MDS from a College/University recognized by the Dental Council of India (DCI from recognized college. Moreover, Candidates must have registered themselves as Registered Dental Practitioners with any State Dental Council. And Minimum 55% marks in final year BDS (aggregate) along with one-year compulsory rotatory internship.
- Selection Procedure: National Eligibility-cum- Entrance Test, NEET (MDS)-2019 Score is considered which is conducted by National Board of Examinations (NBE), New Delhi. Candidates screening ratio is 1:10 who are called for interview
- Interview: Shortlisted candidates will be called for the interview at duly constituted Selection Board, at New Delhi.
- The final merit list = based on the performance in the interview Only which is followed by Medical examination.
13. Military Nursing Services : For Female candidates only
Agreement/Bond exists to serve in the Military Nursing Service (MNS) for 5 years. After successful completion of Nursing Training of 4 years, the candidates will be granted permanent/short service commission in the Military Nursing Service.
Educational Qualification: Passed/Cleared Senior Secondary Examination (10+2) or equivalent (12 Years schooling) exam with Physics, Chemistry, Biology (Botany and Zoology) and English with not minimum 50% aggregate marks.
Selection procedure: Eligible aspirants have to face MCQ type written test of 90 minutes duration which includes General English, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and General Intelligence. Merit List is calculated to select eligible candidates for Interview. Final selection will be summation of merit of written test & interview which is followed by medical Test.
14. Territorial Army Exam (Men as well as Women Aspirants)
‘Territorial Army Exam’ is the Last Entry for defence aspirants to join ‘Indian Army’ as an officer. There is no specific schedule of its notification release (Release of Notification depends on vacancies).
Generally, its notification releases in May/June every year.
Territorial Army Exam at a Glance (FAQ’s):
|How many times is Territorial Army Exam conducted in a year||Usually once in a year (Depends on the number of vacancies)|
|Stages of TA exam||Written exam, PIB, SSB Interview, Medicals|
|When is Territorial Army Exam Notification Released||Month of May|
|TA Exam Date (Officer Entry)||Month of July|
|How many papers are there in TA Officer Exam||2 Papers|
|Time duration of TA exam||2 hours for each paper (4 hours)|
|Sections in Territorial Army Exam||English, Maths, GK, Reasoning|
|TOTAL Marks of Territorial Army Exam||200 Marks (100+100)|
|Territorial Army Exam Cut Off||Overall 50% with sectional 40% in each section|
|Eligibility Age for Territorial Army Exam||18-42 Years|
|Eligibility Qualification for Territorial Army Exam||Graduation from any field|
|Is it a permanent Job?||No. You need to serve minimum 2 months in a year (which can be extended as per requirement) and in cases of emergency situations|
Also Check: Territorial Army Preparation (Clear in First Attempt!)
We have seen different ways to join Indian Army as an Officer. Depending on your Age limit and Educational Qualification, apply for different entries of Indian Army. And if you still have any doubts related to Indian Army Officer Entry, do let sarkaari service know in the comment section below. Your doubts will be cleared within 24 Hours.