Hello SSC CGL aspirants, how is the preparation going on as per detailed strategies? Hopefully fine. In today’s article, we will see SSC CGL Exam Pattern for Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3. Also pattern of SSC CGL Tier 4 (document verification, CPT, DEST) is analysed in detail. So, this article will be one stop solution if you have taken the decision of clearing upcoming SSC CGL Exam.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2020
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2020 need to be analysed in detail as trend of questions asked in SSC CGL changes for each attempt. As compared to other exams, understanding SSC CGL exam pattern becomes a bit confusing as this exam is conducted in 4 stages divided over a time span of 8-9 months. So, we will analyse SSC CGL Pattern as per stages of exam (Tier 1, 2, 3, 4). So, keep patience till end of this article.
What is SSC CGL Exam?
We will study details of SSC CGL Exam in tabular format so that maximum data can be remembered effectively :
|SSC CGL Full form||Staff Selection Commission(SSC) Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Exam|
|SSC CGL Conducted how many times/year||Once a Year (Tier 1 in March)|
|SSC CGL Posts||‘Group B’ and ‘Group C’ posts in Ministries, Departments, Organizations of Central Gov.|
|SSC CGL Exam Number of Stages||4 stages (Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, Tier 4)|
|SSC CGL Difficulty Level||Moderate to difficult|
|SSC CGL Exam Online or Offline||Offline (different exam centers)|
|SSC CGL Exam MCQ format or Descriptive||Tier 1 and 2 is MCQ format, Tier 3 descriptive|
|SSC CGL Exam Dates||March to June|
Why is it Necessary to Understand SSC CGL Exam Pattern?
Very less aspirants are 100% aware about SSC CGL Exam pattern and small things about exam like sectional cut off for each paper in Tier 1, 2, 3, 4. So, this article will give you bird’s eye view so that planning and time management becomes strategic.
What are the exact stages of the SSC CGL Exam?
SSC CGL Exam is conducted in 4 major Stages :
SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam
Tier 1 Exam is 200 Marks Exam which consists of Questions from General Intelligence and Reasoning, General Awareness, Quantitative Aptitude and English (25 each)
SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam
SSC CGL Tier 2 Consists of 4 papers of 200 marks of each. Out of these 4 papers, only first 2 papers are compulsory for all posts (Quantitative Aptitude and English)
SSC CGL Tier 3 Exam
SSC CGL Tier 3 is a Descriptive Paper of 100 Marks which consists of Essay and Letter writing. Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 marks are considered for Merit list.
SSC CGL Tier 4 Exam
SSC CGL Tier 4 is Document Verification/CPT, DEST, Medical and Physical Test. Document Verification is compulsory for all, while other test depends on posts applied for.
SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam Pattern
Let us have a overview of SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam Pattern.
|Sr. No||Sections of paper||No. of Questions from each section||Total Marks for each Section||Time for SSC CGL Tier 1 Paper|
|1||General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50||60 minutes to solve 100 Questions(1 hour 20 minutes for PH and other disabilities)|
Important Points with respect to SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam Pattern :
- You have to solve 200 marks paper of 100 questions in just 60 minutes.
- It is a “Computer Based Examination” which will be conducted in Online format at exam center you have selected at the time of form filling. (various exam centers all over India)
- One fourth Negative Marking is present in SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam Pattern (that is, 0.50 marks will be subtracted for One wrong attempt)
- No sectional cut off for above 4 sections of Tier 1 paper
- But you must score 30% marks in Tier 1 exam and clear Overall cutoff of Tier 1 Exam to be eligible for Stage 2 Exam (Tier 2 of SSC CGL exam)
- Around 27 lakh aspirants apply for SSC CGL Exam evey year. So, maximum competition will be faced in SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam. Due to which clearing cut off is very competitive.
Also Read: SSC CGL Tier 1 Strategy (Score 170+ Marks)
SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam Pattern
SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam consists of 4 papers, out of which first 2 papers are compulsory for all. Let us see Basic overview of SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam:
|Paper||Subject||No of Questions||Marks|
|2||English Language & Comprehension||200||200|
|4||General Studies (Finance & Economics)||100||200|
Important Points with respect to SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam Pattern :
- SSC CGL Tier 2 is also a ‘Computer Based Exam’ which will be conducted in different exam centers in your city.
- Paper 1 and Paper 2 are compulsory for all posts in SSC CGL Exam.
- Paper 3 (Statistics) of SSC CGL Tier 2 is for candidates applying for the post of Junior Statistical Officer (JSO)
- Paper 4 General Studies (Finance & Economics) is for candidates applying for the post of Assistant Audit Officer or Assistant Accounts Officer.
- 1/4th Negative marking exists in SSC CGL Mains Exam Pattern which results in:
|Paper||Marks deducted due to negative Marking|
|Paper 1||0.50 Marks|
|Paper 2||0.25 Marks|
|Paper 3||0.50 Marks|
|Paper 4||0.50 Marks|
(This negative marking scheme makes exam pattern for ssc cgl exam even tough !)
4. SSC CGL Tier 2 contributes 400 marks in overall cut off marks (Paper 1 and Paper 2) and 800 marks for those eligible for Paper 3 and 4. So, this is a major chunk which matters in final cutoff.
Also Read: SSC CGL Tier 2 Strategy (Score 360+ Marks)
SSC CGL Tier 3 Exam Pattern
SSC CGL Tier 3 is a “Descriptive Exam” (Pen and Paper Mode) of 100 marks which will test your English writing skills. We will see SSC CGL Tier 3 Exam Pattern so that you can manage to score as high as possible in this descriptive paper too.
|Mode of SSC CGL Tier 3 Exam||Descriptive paper (Pen Paper Based) conducted in Offline format at different exam centers|
|Number of papers to face in Tier 3 Exam||One Paper|
|Tier 3 Paper Questions||Essay, Precis Writing, Application Writing/ Letter writing|
|Exam duration||1 hour (60 min)|
|Language of Writing Examination||English as well as Hindi|
Important Points with respect to SSC CGL Tier 3 Exam Pattern :
- Many aspirants take Tier 3 paper very lightly due to which their overall score decreases.
- SSC CGL Tier 3 is compulsory for all Posts (No confusion !!)
- You can give Tier 3 Descriptive Paper in English as well as Hindi. Just make sure you do not mix both. It can result in “0 Marks” in Tier 3 paper.
- Its marks are calculated in Final Merit List (Its not just qualifying paper)
- Good writing skills, command over current and social issues is must to score 50+ Marks.
- Answer writing practice is must to manage time during actual exam.
Also Read: SSC CGL Tier 3 Strategy (Score 80+ Marks)
SSC CGL Tier 4 Exam Pattern
SSC CGL Tier 4 Exam Consists of Computer Proficiency Test (CPT), DATA Entry Speed Test and Document Verification.
CPT Test in SSC CGL Exam consists of 3 stages as given below. These tests are conducted to check your command overMS Word (I mean typing), Excel and Power point
Follow SSC CGL Tier 4 Strategy article for more details (Medical, Physical, CPT and DEST)
Sarkaari Service have explained SSC CGL Exam pattern for Tier 1, 2, 3 and 4 in a detailed manner so that all your doubts are cleared. Now your success depends on your dedication level and how consistently you study for upcoming SSC CGL Exam. Jut remember that,
So, study in such a way that you clear the Final Merit List (And not just the cut off marks)
How was this article on exam pattern for SSC CGL Exam? Do let us know in the comment section below. And if you have any doubts regarding SSC CGL Exam pattern, do let our team know. It will be solved within 24 hours.
Jai Hind !