Many aspirants demanded SSB Medical test and physical tests required to qualify for National Defence Academy. We all are aware about 2 stages of NDA exam preparation, that is, Written examination and SSB Interview. We have provided A to Z guidance for two main stages of NDA exam.
We forget that there exists a equally important stage of NDA exam, that is, SSB Medical test. You will be shocked to know that 30 candidates out of every 100 candidates are rejected in SSB Medical test. This percentage may vary at different centers, but its enough to understand seriousness of Medical tests and Physical tests of SSB.
Majority of rejections at SSB Interview are ‘Temporary Rejections‘. So, if you are aware about those major causes of rejection in SSB Medicals, you can cure them far before the SSB with genuine exercises and medical aid.
This article will be a detailed guide on SSB Medical as well as NDA physical test. I guarantee that after reading this article, you will not need to search again on this topic as A to Z doubts related to NDA Medical tests are covered.
Why should we do SSB Medical Tests before preparing for the NDA exam?
NDA exam is conducted twice a year in April and September. Complete procedure of NDA, that is, written exam to final selection takes arounf minimum 7-8 months. So, if fail in SSB Medical test after clearing NDA written exam and SSB Interview, it will waste your 6-7 months of time, that too in crucial years of career development.
So, its recommeded to do SSB Medical tests before NDA exam if you have taken the decision of joining Indian Armed Forces. And if you find any temporary defect, if can be cured easily if you are aware much before actual SSB Medicals.
SSB Medical Tests after NDA clearing exam:
After clearing the SSB Interview, you have to wait at SSB center for SSB Medical tests where A to Z tests specified in Notification are done by medical officers. If you have any medical issue which could be cured, you are given temporary rejection and you will have to cure that parameter of rejection in 42 days.
NDA aspirants who want to join Indian armed forces must be physically and mentally fit according to the guidelines given in NDA physical standards (given in detail below)
Large number of candidates are rejected at the end stage of NDA recruitment due to NDA physical requirement. In order to avoid disappointment at the end, have a test done of these tests.
9 commonly found defects at the time of SSB Medical Test
Given below are 9 common causes of NDA Medical test rejections. So, you must do checkup of these parameters. Majority of these parameters can be cured with time.
Visit you family doctor and check whether you have these common defects/ailments or not. (No need of visiting any specialized doctor for these basic tests)
Also Read: How to Crack NDA exam in First Attempt
Are Permanent Tattoos on body permitted in Indian Armed Forces?
Permanent tattoos on body are permitted only on inner face of forearm ( that too from inside of elbow to the wrist and on the reverse side of palm). Every NDA aspirant must note that Permanent body tattoos on any other body part of the NDA aspirant is not acceptable which can cause you rejection in SSB Medical test.
(Different tribes having tattoos as a part of tradition and culture will be treated on different basis by the medical officer)
(Suggestion: Avoid permanent tatoos in any format if you want to be part of armed forces)
What if we are Temporarily Declared Unfit by Sevice Medical Board?
Temporary rejection is also called as ‘TR’ in terms of SSB terms. Temporary rejection is given to aspirants who do not fit the medical criteria of service which can be any of the parameter like ENT, eyes, height, weight, any surgery, blood pressure, chest X-ray, blood test, dental issue, etc or any other parameter specified.
After getting medical rejection, you get just 42 days to cure the issue and report again to SSB Board for re-test. In second case, your medical test will be done at Appeal Medical Board (AMB).
After re-medical test, you can clear the medical test or even get temporary rejection again where you will get 10-15 days to cure the defect and report to Review Medical Board (RMB) (time period is variable which depends on the paramter you are rejected for)
After temporary Rejection, when you report again for re-medical test after 42 days, you will be checked only on the parameters you are rejected in previous NDA Medical test (you don’t have to give all the tests again!)
NDA physical eligibility criteria (As per UPSC)
- NDA candidate must be in good physical and mental health and free from any disease or disability which can interfere with the efficient performance of Military duties.
- NDA candiate must not have weak constitution, bodily defects. He must not be underweight or overweight /Obese
- Chest should be properly developed. Fully expanded chest should not be less than 81 cms while range of expansion must be 5 cms (minimum).
- There should not be underdevelopment or even impairment of function of the bones/joints.
- NDA candidates must have sufficient number of natural and sound teeth. 14 dental points are acceptable (Minimum). In normal case of 32 teeth, the number of dental points are 22.
- There should not be any past medical history of diseases or injury related to spine or sacro iliac joints.
- Enlargement of liver or spleen not permitted
- Functional or organic disease of the heart and blood vessels are not allowed. Even blood pressure should be normal during checkup.
- There should not be Mild Kyphosis or Lordosis
- No past history of fits or mental breakdown is permitted
- Un-operated hernias can also be a reason of rejection in NDA Medical test
- Urine examination is done to check health of aspirant.
- Routine ECG is conducted for Air Force candidates and each case report must be within normal limits
Also Read: NDA Syllabus (Chapter-wise weightage of each subject)
NDA Exam Height Eligibility
Mimimum Height requirement to be eligible for National Defence Academy:
Age Relaxation for NDA exam :
- Gorkhas and candidates of North-Eastern regions of India, Garhwal and Kumaon : 5 cm relaxation
- Candidates belonging to Lakshadweep : 2 cm relaxation
NDA Height and Weight Chart for Men
Height and Weight Standard For Army/Air Force
|Height in cm
Weight in Kilogram (Kg)
Height and Weight Standard For Navy
|Height in cm
|Weight in Kilogram (Kg)
Special Physical Eligibility for Air Force candidates
Major causes for rejection in SSB Medical Test
Now let us look at some other causes of rejection in NDA Medical test
- SSB Rejections related to Chest: Musculoskeletal deformities viz pectus excavatum,parenchymal lesions of lungs, pigeon chest, rickety rosary, pleural effusion, active or residual lesions of tuberculosis are rejections of chest.
- SSB Rejections related to Head and neck: Muscolo-skeletal deformities which can interfere in using safety gear, cervical rib.
- SSB Rejections related to Upper limbs, lower limbs and spine: Cubitus valgus, Cubitus varus, genu recurvatum, Hyper flexible or restricted movements of joints, deformities of hands and feet, kyphosis, scoliosis, congenital deformities
- Rejections related to Skin: Vitiligo, scars, vascular malformations chronic skin diseases.
- Rejections related to Abdomen and reproductive system: Hernia, organomegaly, vascular deformities. Renal deformities, gall stones, renal tones, etc. Deformities of the reproductive system.
- Other rejections : hyper/hypopigmented patches, swelling, naevus, sinus, fistulae and hernia, cyst, vascular malformations scars located anywhere on the candidate’s body.
Also Read: NDA Answer key (Set A, B, C, D)
Eye and Vision Standards for NDA exam
Eye related diseases (ocular) which can be a cause of rejection in SSB medicals. Let us see of such diseases:
Vision standard for Naval candidates
|Uncorrected without glass
|Corrected with glass
|Limits of Myopia
|Limits of Hypermetropia
|Limits of color perception
Vision standard for Air Force candidates
NDA Physical Eligibility Criteria
As such there are no other physical eligibility criteria for NDA Medical test, but in order to perform individual tasks and other activities perfectly, its necessary that you are physically fit.
Medical Officer or respective Medical Board examining a NDA candidate may ask following medical parameters also:
- Complete Haemogram
- Urine RE/ME
- X Ray chest PA view
- USG abdomen & pelvis
NDA Physical requirement (NDA Physical standard )
There is no as such NDA physical test after SSB. But its must that candidate is fit enough to perform following NDA Physical tests with ease:
Mastering these NDA Physical tests will help you alot during various activities held duirng SSB Interview (Individual + Group)
Sarkaari Service has provided A to Z details related to NDA SSB Medical tests as well as physical tests. Now its your duty to check whether you fulfill these NDA Medical criteria’s or not. And if not, you must give best to cure the temporary rejections with the help of exercises recommended by doctor.